Burnout is a significant—and growing—problem for companies globally. The pandemic, economic crises and modern working practices have made burnout more common amongst employees. In two recent studies, employee burnout levels were found to be between 77% and 89%.
The results are destructive and expensive. Burnout is one of the top three reasons employees leave their jobs. Even when employees stay, productivity takes a dive, morale is impacted and managers find it near impossible to inspire their teams. Employee disengagement has been estimated by Gallup to cost $3,400 out of every $10,000 in salary.
Mental health support to solve burnout
Burnout is the result of chronic stress, and both stress and burnout are preventable. Implementing strategic, holistic mental health support is one of the most effective ways to stop burnout in its tracks. In our most recent study, we found the following:
- 96% of nilo.health users report “strong improvement” in their mental health
- 82% of users with severe symptoms improve after using nilo.health
- 71% of users struggling with stress improve after using nilo.health
Why does mental health support solve burnout?
There are a few key reasons why mental health support for employees is so crucial in solving burnout.
- You provide your employees with actionable strategies against stress: In the moment, stress feels insurmountable, as though you’re trapped in a panicky bubble. But mental health support equips your people with the resources they need to build resilience and come up with their own strategies for guarding against stress. For example, your employees might use meditation to start their day with peace and direction, or they might practice setting boundaries which allow them to work hard—and then relax hard, too!
- You’ll prevent small problems from spiraling: A huge amount of mental health support’s success is in what it does preventatively. Some stress at work is unavoidable. It’s when it becomes chronic and unchecked that it’s a problem likely to lead to burnout. Using mental health support as a preventative measure is key for keeping company issues small and manageable.
- Your employees speak to a professional about their issues: Just like we need to go to the doctor if we’re suffering chronic pain, chronic stress often needs expert medical advice. A good mental health platform for employees will offer the chance for people to connect with a qualified and specialized psychologist who can help them. This psychologist will develop strategies with each individual employee, help them manage their issues and work through their emotions to ensure they come back from their sessions stronger than ever.
- You create a psychologically safe work culture: Employee mental health support goes beyond supporting individual employees; it’s a holistic measure for your whole company. By prioritizing mental health, you’ll build a psychologically safe company which values boundaries, steps in before stress becomes chronic and shows mentally healthy behavior at every level. That means that issues like burnout and stress are less likely to crop up in the first place.
How do we do it at nilo.health?
“Since adopting nilo.health, our team’s wellbeing has increased by 25 points (Peakon Score), while absences have dropped consistently,” says Emily Gawlik, Head of People & Culture at Forto. Over 50% of Forto’s employees are active on nilo.health, making it the company’s most used and beloved benefit.
At nilo.health, we support your staff before it’s too late. 85% of users use nilo.health for preventable reasons.
And it works. 71% of users struggling with stress improve after using nilo.health.
“nilo.health is the leading provider in the burnout prevention market,” says Dr. Simon Senner, Chief Clinical Psychiatrist, specializing in workplace mental health. “nilo provides proactive and evidence-based support to employees, enabling them to address stressors early before they accumulate.”
Because burnout is such a complicated issue, nilo.health’s platform addresses it on several levels, including:
- 1-to-1 counseling sessions with leading global psychologists to solve chronic issues as well as early stressors
- Sessions, roundtables and digital self-guided content to address stress and build resilience
- A tailored program for leaders to support management
- A HR dashboard to monitor and understand employee health in your company
Want to see how mental health support can solve burnout in your organization? Let’s talk.