In today’s fast-paced, high-stress work environment, employee mental health has become a critical concern for many companies. As a result, more and more organizations are introducing employee mental health benefits to help support the mental health of their staff. This blog will explore the different types of employee mental health benefits, the benefits they provide for both employees and employers, and how companies can provide these benefits.
What are employee mental health benefits?
Employee mental health benefits are programs, services, and resources that employers provide to support the mental health and well-being of their staff. These benefits can include anything from mental health coverage under a health insurance plan to onsite counseling services and meditation classes.
There are several types of employee mental health benefits, including:
- Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs): EAPs offer confidential counseling services to employees and their families, as well as referrals to outside resources, such as therapists and mental health clinics. However, in more recent times, traditional Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) cannot match the pace of the modern office. Low utilization, limited care and hidden barriers ensure that EAPs fall short of meeting the workforce’s mental health needs.
- Wellness Programs: These programs offer a range of services to employees, including access to mental health resources, such as counseling and support groups, as well as exercise and nutrition programs to promote overall health and wellness.
- Flexible Work Arrangements: Companies can offer flexible work arrangements, such as telecommuting and flexible scheduling, to help employees better manage their mental health and work-life balance.
- Tailored Employee Mental Health Support: In contrast to EAPs, employee mental health benefits which are tailored for individual companies, like nilo.health, offer comprehensive care with measurable results. Not only will your employees get the support they need to boost productivity and avoid burnout—you’ll actually be able to see it happening!
What are the benefits of offering employee mental health benefits?
Providing mental health benefits is a net positive for your company—employees and employers alike. Let’s look first at the positive impact mental health benefits have for your employees:
- Improved Mental Health: By providing access to mental health services and resources, employees can better manage their mental health, leading to improved job performance, reduced absenteeism and a happier life!
- Reduced Stigma: Providing mental health benefits can help reduce the stigma surrounding mental health issues, making it easier for employees to seek help without fear of judgment or discrimination.
- Increased Job Satisfaction: Employees who have access to mental health benefits are more likely to be satisfied with their job and their employer, leading to improved morale and retention rates.
Providing mental health benefits also has significant benefits for employers, including:
- Reduced Costs: By providing mental health benefits, companies can reduce the costs associated with absenteeism, reduced productivity, and healthcare costs related to mental health issues.
- Improved Employee Retention: Employees who have access to mental health benefits are more likely to stay with their employer, leading to reduced turnover and associated costs.
- Increased Productivity: Employees who have access to mental health benefits are more productive and engaged at work, leading to improved job performance and reduced absenteeism. Research by the Center for Prevention and Health Services found that companies with comprehensive mental health programs had a 63% reduction in absenteeism and a 31% increase in productivity.
- Better Business: A survey by Willis Towers Watson found that companies with effective mental health programs had a 28% higher shareholder return than companies without such programs.
How do I provide employee mental health benefits to my team?
You partner with an expert.
nilo.health’s comprehensive mental health platform provides a range of mental health services and resources to employees, including 1-to-1 counseling sessions, digital mental health assessments, self-guided meditation and mindfulness exercises, and personalized wellness plans. Book a demo today.